- Explain the difference between assent and consent.
- Understand the components of valid, informed consent.
- Describe the barriers to providing informed consent and have knowledge of strategies to overcome these difficulties.
- Recognise a patient who lacks capacity.
- Understand the support that is available to make valid, legal decisions for a patient who lacks capacity.
- Understand the concept and components of shared decision-making and to apply this in patient consultations.
- Access or develop decision aids that can be shared with patients to empower them as a true partner in the decision making process.
- Understand the many components of communication and how to communicate effectively with patients, relatives and colleagues.
- Recognise the potential for conflict and when this is escalating.
- Develop strategies to manage and resolve conflict.