- Describe the epidemiology and importance of right ventricular failure in intensive care medicine
- Understand the normal anatomy and physiology of the right ventricle
- Understand the concepts of preload, afterload, coupling and ventricular interdependence in relation to the right ventricle.
- Describe the pathophysiology of the failing right ventricle
- Describe the variety of clinical conditions related to right ventricular failure in intensive care.
- Demonstrate the work up of a patient with right ventricular failure including clinical assessment and key investigations
- Describe a structured approach to management including attention to rate/rhythm, coronary perfusion, preload, contractility and afterload.
- Describe the indications and timings for short term mechanical circulatory support in acute right ventricular failure
- Describe the key features of mechanical circulatory support including TandemHeart, ImpellaRP and veno-arterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
- Understand the role of long term mechanical support and heart transplantation